3 completely different things you could do this August bank holiday weekendBack to latest posts
As the Summer draws to a close, the forthcoming August Bank Holiday weekend sees the staging of several rather loony events. And better still, everyone is encouraged to take part!
Here are three of the best…
1. World Gravy Wrestling Championships – Monday 26th August
Comprising competitive wrestling in a 16 foot pool full of Lancashire gravy, this event is now in its 5th year and held at the Rose n Bowl in Stacksteads, Lancashire.
Contestants wrestle for 2 minutes whilst being scored by audience applause and a variety of different moves.
A family friendly event, it’s open to anyone daft enough to give it a go. And fancy dress is mandatory! As well as a huge amount of fun, it’s also about raising money for charity, with all proceeds going to East Lancashire Hospice.
Picture courtesy of Worldgravywrestling.com
World Bog Snorkelling Championships - Sunday 25th August
If attempting to snorkel 60 yards (and back!) in a mask and flippers through a freezing cold peat bog sounds like fun, then this event might be for you!
Approximately 100 competitors are expected to fight their way through pretty terrible conditions in the Waen Rhydd bog in Llanwrtyd Wells, in what is the 28th anniversary of this now world famous event.
It’s all for charity and if you don’t fancy taking part, then spectating might just be even more entertaining.
Grasmere Lakeland Sports – Sunday 25th August
Marking 161 years of existence, this annual event is a celebration of all things Cumbrian.
A key fixture in the Cumbrian and Westmorland wrestling calendar, there are classes for everyone from Under 12 boys to 10 stone Ladies to Men’s Heavyweight, with a fancy dress class thrown in for good measure.
The show also features fell racing; sheep dog displays; hound trails and tug of war as well as air displays by the RAF.
There’s a huge amount on offer for adults and children alike and the beautiful setting alone is well worth the visit.
Browse by date
Browse by category
- Accessible holiday cottages (7)
- Budget holiday cottages (2)
- Eco-friendly holiday cottages (3)
- Games room holiday cottages (2)
- Hen party holiday cottages (1)
- Historic & listed holiday cottages (9)
- Holiday cottages near the sea (22)
- Hot tub holiday cottages (15)
- Large holiday cottages (11)
- Log fires and wood burning stoves (9)
- Pet free holiday cottages (2)
- Quirky & unusual (20)
- Romantic holiday cottages (14)
- Shepherd's Huts (2)
- Swimming pool holiday cottages (3)
- Tips on finding the perfect holiday cottage (62)
- Well equipped kitchens (1)
- Wi-Fi internet access (1)