Northumberland Park area awarded dark-sky statusBack to latest posts
Astro-tourism looks to be on the rise as Northumberland National Park and Kielder Water and Forest Park celebrate having just been granted Gold dark-sky status by The International Dark Skies Association.
In recognition of this award, the area will be renamed Northumberland Dark Sky Park.
What this means in reality is that the night sky in this 1,500km square area is now protected and measures are in place to prevent light pollution.
For most of us in the UK, our ability to see the night sky in any real detail is significantly impaired thanks to background light pollution.
This kind of protected status means that, for anyone interested in learning more about astronomy, this stunning part of the UK is now the ideal place to stargaze.
So why not book into one of our self-catering holiday cottages in Northumberland and come and see for yourself?
Browse by date
Browse by category
- Accessible holiday cottages (1)
- Eco-friendly holiday cottages (3)
- Historic & listed holiday cottages (9)
- Holiday cottages near the sea (16)
- Hot tub holiday cottages (5)
- Large holiday cottages (8)
- Log fires and wood burning stoves (8)
- Pet free holiday cottages (1)
- Quirky & unusual (17)
- Romantic holiday cottages (9)
- Swimming pool holiday cottages (2)
- Tips on finding the perfect holiday cottage (16)
- Well equipped kitchens (1)
- Wi-Fi internet access (1)