Cornwall voted UK’s top holiday destinationBack to latest posts
BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards
Cornwall has been voted the UK’s top holiday destination in this year’s BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards (2013-14).
Now in their third year, the awards were made across 10 categories, from favourite rural TV presenter and best conservation project to finest market town and best place to go on holiday.
More than 55,000 votes were cast from nearly 6,000 people.
Cornwall beats off competition from the Lake District
Cornwall comfortably beat the Lake District and the Highlands in Scotland into second and third place respectively, with readers rating the blend of rugged coast, sandy beaches and charming towns and villages.
Malcolm Bell, head of Visit Cornwall, commented “This is a fantastic achievement. I thank all those that voted for us. To be recognised by the readership of such a creditable source speaks volumes about the quality of our destination.”
The fishing port of Whitby in Yorkshire, with its landmark abbey, coastal location and close proximity to the North York Moors National Park, was voted winner of the Best market town.
Whitby edged St Ives, Cornwall into second place with third place awarded to Bridport in Dorset.
Browse by date
Browse by category
- Accessible holiday cottages (7)
- Budget holiday cottages (2)
- Eco-friendly holiday cottages (3)
- Games room holiday cottages (2)
- Hen party holiday cottages (1)
- Historic & listed holiday cottages (9)
- Holiday cottages near the sea (22)
- Hot tub holiday cottages (15)
- Large holiday cottages (11)
- Log fires and wood burning stoves (9)
- Pet free holiday cottages (2)
- Quirky & unusual (20)
- Romantic holiday cottages (14)
- Shepherd's Huts (2)
- Swimming pool holiday cottages (3)
- Tips on finding the perfect holiday cottage (62)
- Well equipped kitchens (1)
- Wi-Fi internet access (1)