The Magazine in Sedgeford, Norfolk, East Anglia is a detached, Grade II listed, historic and cosy abode situated in the heart of rural West Norfolk, in a designated area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, just three miles from the coast. It is surrounded by the wide open spaces and huge skies that characterise this part of England.

It dates back to 1642, when it was built as an arms store for use in the Civil War, hence its name. The main part of the house was built to resemble a chapel and thus disguise its true purpose.

On the lower ground floor there is a large fully equipped kitchen with a quarry-stone floor and a wood-burning stove. The stairs lead to the open plan sitting/dining room, distinguished by three sets of church-style windows, which look out onto the surrounding lawns. A further wood-burning stove contributes to the snug feel. Also on the ground floor there is a bathroom and a twin bedroom, both with slit windows.

A further set of stairs provide access to a single bedroom and a double bedroom at the top of the house, which have pitched ceilings and wonderful exposed beams.

The house is in an elevated position surrounded by lawns facing onto the Peddars Way, an ancient Roman path and now a National Trail. The Magazine exudes history amidst the quiet beauty of Norfolk.

Sleeping 5 in 3 bedrooms, prices start from £795 for a 7 night stay.

Latest blog posts